For us, one of the most rewarding aspects of traveling is getting a true “taste” for local life in another part of the world. That’s why many of our adventures include home-hosted meals — we believe there’s no better way to connect with people than over a delicious meal! As a few members of the Vantage family prepare for an upcoming safari adventure, we were inspired to bring a little South African flavor to our readers.
A sweet confection that originated in colorful Cape Malay, malva pudding is a staple in South African homes. With a spongy caramelized texture and sugary notes of apricot, this dessert is one sweet treat you won’t want to miss.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or apple cider
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 generous pinch of salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 5/8 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 3/8 cup water
- 1 generous pinch of salt (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 9-inch pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg and sugar together until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is greater in volume (about 2-3 minutes on medium speed). Once smooth, add the jam and mix to combine.
- Melt the butter in a separate bowl, then add the milk and vinegar. Stir to combine.
- In a third bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- With the mixer on slow, add the milk and flour mixtures little by little, alternating mixtures until everything is combined.
- Transfer the batter to the baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes (the top of the pudding should be a golden brown and set like a cake.)
- Melt all sauce ingredients together in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally. Pour over pudding as soon as it is removed from oven (liquid will absorb). Serve warm and enjoy!
*Insider’s tip: Top with fresh custard or vanilla ice cream for an extra touch of sweetness!
Want more African culture? Follow us on Facebook as we follow our marketing specialists building new trips and experiencing safaris in real time!