Get a true “taste” for the specialties of Portugal and Spain during this illuminating harvest departure of The Douro: Portugal’s River of Gold & Spain cruise. With an enhanced focus on the viniculture of this historic wine region, you’ll enjoy special lectures, tours, and wine tastings in addition to the extensive sightseeing and Cultural Connections already included in the base tour. Exploring a variety of the region’s signature wine estates is the perfect way to “toast” the upcoming harvest season and savor the cultural wonders of these enchanting countries! Space is limited — reserve today!
Departure Dates Available: September 16 & October 7, 2017
Harvest Wine Celebration Features Include:
- Harvest Season exclusive: Full-day harvest celebration at Avessada Winery with lunch, grape stomping, and local entertainment
- Harvest Season exclusive: Aveleda Winery visit, including a Vinho Verde wine tasting and sampling of regional delicacies
- Harvest Season exclusive: Demonstration on the correct method for opening and decanting a fine bottle of vintage port
- Tour of Mateus Manor House and Gardens, a historic estate known for its rosé production
- Tour of Lamego and Quinta do Seixo with port wine tasting
- Two onboard lectures: “Portuguese Society and Economy” and “The Importance of the Cork Industry in Portugal”
- Grahams Port and Wine Cellars visit with port wine tasting
- Douro Wine Museum tour, including a lecture on wine production in the Douro Valley region
*Note that in this special itinerary, winery visits may occur on days other than advertised.