Fall has arrived, and so have thoughts of crisp air, beautiful foliage and, of course, apples.
Europe has long been renowned for turning this fall favorite into a delectable dessert: apple strudel. Our expert chefs are known for many of the culinary experiences they create on board our ships, but their apple strudel usually ranks among travelers’ favorites. The aroma, the texture, the taste … everything about this signature European treat captures the attention (and the enduring love) of those with a sweet tooth.
You’ll experience the deliciousness when you travel on the river cruises below. You’ll also get a chance to learn how to make it! Our experienced chef will take you step-by-step through the process of making this legendary pastry, after which you can enjoy the fruits of this educational session.
That’s just the beginning of the fun that awaits on the journeys below. Click to learn more about these trips.
In the meantime, feel free to try out this recipe:
- Four apples (peeled and shredded)
- One sheet of frozen puff pastry
- One egg
- One-quarter cup of milk
- One cup of brown sugar
- One cup of raisins (preferably golden)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Put apples in a bowl. Stir in raisins and sugar.
- Put pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry, and place the bowl mixture in the center of the pastry. Fold the pastry so that it envelops the mixture, using water to dampen the edges and seal them. Put the egg and milk together in a bowl and whisk, then brush the top of the pastry.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until it’s golden brown